Monday, June 11, 2012

PRIMERA DIA DE LA ESCULA

Sunday morning Kelsey and I went to Sosua to visit the church here called New Life that is in English with some of the other Makarios staff just to see what it was like. It was awesome because most of the people there that I met were either here as missionaries or here with a group of a mission trip, so it was really easy to connect and talk to them because we are all here for the same reason. The sermon was about  dying and how when we die it means we are done with what God wants us to do here on Earth and we are ready to go home and this was possibly one of the best sermons I have heard in a long time and I was so happy I chose to go visit this church. After lunch we went to eat with some of the people from the church, which was great because I got to meet a lot of new people, as well as Rachel (who owns La Tienda) and her son. And then we all went to the Playa Alicia together for the rest of the day. It was a great day of rest/ adventure for me.

Monday was THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!! And it was the best day I have had here so far!! The kids were so excited and it was so great getting to see them and work with them in the classroom setting. It is so exciting seeing them at their homes and in the villages when they are running around crazy and playing and then in the classroom learning and working hard. Narolin and I had our first day of art class with the older kids and the day started with them eating breakfast all together and then the broke into their color groups that they would stay with and go from class to class with. So after the six groups rotated, we had recess then lunch and then the kids went home. After a brief staff meeting I came home to relax before I went back out with Kelsey to Pancho to play basketball with Cakito and his friends. It was so cool going into the village and having all of the kids see me and recognize me as Profe Paige! Haha I felt so old! But then Kelsey and I played basketball with Cakito and his friend Joel until we took a break and then I played with some of the younger boys in Pancho. We then relaxed and the boys got me some sugar cane to eat as a snack before I played with the older guys... full court (which I haven't done since 7th grade). After playing 2 games with them I was ready to pass out! When you play sports here it is so much more intense because they absolutely hate losing, so the games are so much more intense than in the U.S. but it was so worth it and I had so much fun getting to know Cakito's friends. We then came back to the house and hung out in the backyard with the Menold's, who had been in Santiago all day, and played while Josh was building the new, big blow up pool they had bought for the kids. Today was a busy, but very happy day!!


~ I finally figured out how to do a picture slideshow!

~ I have learned that if there is free time, you make it dance time! Here are some of the kids dancing around

~ Verse of the week: 1 Corinthians 6:19 

No comments:

Post a Comment