Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The sun shines brighter day by day

Life has been CRAZY here the past week, but crazy good! Tuesday and Wednesday of last week we had school and then on Thursday we had a staff party at the river all day with Sancocho, a Dominican soup. Tuesday after school I got to help teach my first ESL classes of the summer and it was awesome! Wednesday night, we had our weekly bible study with the staff and then I got to spend some time with Imani and Perla for the rest of the night and hear all about Perla's wedding and how amazing it was. Friday I went to La Sirena with Jen to help her buy all of the groceries for group we had come on Saturday, and then I spent the rest of the day at Playa Sosua relaxing and recovering from the busy week. Saturday I spent all day preparing dinner for the welcome dinner with the group and the staff and I must say that I think I have become a much better chef after learning how to prepare all of the meals that Jen has taught me to prepare. The group that came is a family group with two families coming from Austin and one from Illinois. Later on we realized that I had actually babysat for one of the families that came from Austin a while ago, what a small world! Sunday morning we went to El Templo and then afterwards I came home to help Jen with preparations for the week. Belize and Kelvin came over later and we had a basketball tournament that was so fun and reminded me how much I love basketball! 


Monday was our first week of school with the younger kids (every other week we rotate) and then after school I got to help unpack all of the supplies the group brought with them for the school and the kids. It is so exciting to get to see everything that is brought to the school, now that I know how much it means to have new supplies, and even some of the smaller things that seem so unimportant. It is like Christmas at the school every time a group come and brings new stuff. It was also Andy's birthday,so of course as Dominican tradition goes, we got to soak him in water at the end of the day. Tuesday after school, the ESL kids got to make kites with the group during class time and then fly them. Today after school I went to Pancho with the group to play with the kids and we took the younger kids in the group to experience part of the day in the life of a Pancho kid. During this time we explained to them what it was like living in the conditions that the people live in here. We took the kids on a walk from the school to Pancho to show them what it was like to walk to far to school every day, no matter what the weather was like. (We drove the kids halfway and they only had to walk have of the distance, but they were able to realize just from the half of the walk that they did what the kids do everyday). And today I got to see Jenny again which made me so happy because she hasn't been home the past few times I went to Pancho!! During bible study tonight we spent a lot of time worshiping outside, which is definitely one of my favorite things to do here, if not my favorite. It was a perfect ending to the day and I can't wait to take the younger kids to the beach tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment